It's fall ya'll! Our favorite time of the year! And Alec and I are dying over the fact that around here, we get an amazing few weeks of color and cool weather, and then...the abundance of cold... *dun dun duuuuuunnn* So in celebration of the new changes happening here in Wisconsin, we thought it would be a good idea to kick off the festivities with a few tips to consider while planning your season! (Bring on the pumpkin patches, corn mazes and apple picking!)
1. Choosing the improper clothing.
Choosing the perfect outfits for you and your family can be one of the most important aspects to your fall family portraits. To get you on the right track, here are a few key points to gathering the perfect pieces for your family:
- Stay away from distracting patterns or logos!
- Maintain a color scheme throughout the group. Some prefer the children be the center of color. And always steer away from neon colors. Keep in consideration of your location - we don't want you to get lost in your surroundings.
- Stay comfortable! As you can imagine, discomfort shows in your photos, so make sure you are as comfortable as possible. - Fall weather varies, so you always have the potential for dresses and heels, or your favorite tall boots and pants. And always have a back up plan!
- Start with one outfit you really love and build your families wardrobe from that!
If you are having trouble, remember to always ask your professional photographer for some tips!
2. Choosing a location that has no meaning to your family.
When you first think about your family photos, your location is the first thing that comes to mind. Its pretty easy in this case to choose a location based on convenience - for example, your local park! But while this may be the norm, it is better to keep your family in mind. - Here's what we mean - Each family is unique and interesting with their own personality and deserves a location that exhibits that! So when choosing the perfect location, keep in mind your families hobbies, favorite places, etc. By using a unique location for you and your family, those photos will mean so much more and will help you stay relaxed during your session.
3. Not taking the time to get to know your photographer.
Taking the time to get to know your family photographer before your session is so very important and many times, overlooked! Here are a few things to keep in mind while on the search :
- Are you comfortable in this photographers presence?
- Are you able to ask any questions you may have? Are they willing to give you the help you may need?
- Is your photographer asking you the right questions to really get to know you best?
Because we believe this is such a huge part of your experience, Alec and I have went further in detail in this blog post here : Its All About Connection
Let us know how your fall family photos went! - Leave us a comment below and let us know how you created your perfect fall photos!
For those of you that would love to gather a few more tips and tricks for your session this fall and would like to get to know Alec and I a bit better, we are NOW offering a gift for those looking for a family session THIS FALL!
To enter and get your families COMPLEMENTARY fall session with us, all you have to do is fill out this contact form completely and enter FALL FAMILY VOUCHER into the 'anything else' section!
As always, we can not wait to hear from you!!!